Saturday, April 4, 2015

Seeds update

It's been a busy few weeks. I had a race two weeks ago, and then a yearbook deadline, and now I am leaving for spring break. Never fear! John is staying home with the pups and he'll take care of my garden. All are in good hands.

Last weekend I planted the remaining seeds: beans, squash, pumpkins, and corn. For beans, squash, and pumpkins, I saved my own seeds. For the beans, I just saved some bean pods that I had let get too big. I left them outside under cover on the back porch. Just a week ago, I popped them out of their pods. Despite the moisture of the Pacific Northwest, only a few were moldy. Success! For the squash.pumpkins, I rinsed the seeds and then let them dry on a paper towel on the kitchen counter. Once dried out, I put them in a plastic bag. My mom saved seeds in empty plastic spice jars.

I also transplanted some nasturtiums in front of the garden fence and planted some dahlias and some glads. The daffodils are amazing! The paler yellow ones are just about done and the bright yellow ones are full on now. Plus the tulips are starting. It's really pretty.

All the flowers I planted a few weeks ago are up now. Today, I planted some violas, pansies, and collards. I hadn't thought to plant these until I saw the seeds in the store Thursday (and my mom was looking for collard seeds, so I figured I try them, too. I also added fogger/misters to the drip system so now every flat has water. It was a little tricky to get the pressure just right.

The slug problem seems to be under control now. I expect to transplant more flowers when I get home from Alabama. The cosmos are ready, too.

All for now.

NG Gardener

No comments:

Post a Comment