Thursday, February 25, 2016

Back from the Dead of Winter

Last summer's garden was nothing short of spectacular! I couldn't keep up with the harvest, especially in the fall when I returned to work. Suffice it to say that I still have bags of frozen tomatoes, peppers, and figs to use. I am hoping that the tomatoes and peppers will get me through to the next harvest; we'll see.

Meanwhile, it's time to begin the 2016 gardening season, and I am a little behind! I planted vegetable seeds in the greenhouse this evening after dinner, including

  • Lettuce (5 kinds)
  • Spinach
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Broccoli
  • Chard
  • Leeks
  • Cabbage (purple & green)
  • Peas
  • Cilantro

Tomorrow evening, I plan to get started on the flowers if I can get some more potting soil. Duvall's True Value was out of my preferred Edna's Best Organic Potting Soil in the larger bag, so I had to buy a small one and it is almost gone.

I wish I could have gotten everything planted the previous Sunday (today is Thursday), as we have had a week of wonderful weather (55-63 degrees). The seeds would surely have sprouted. Better late than never, I guess.

My seed potatoes, blackberries, onion plants, and onion seeds are all backordered. I hope they get here soon, as I need to get them in the ground.

Last weekend, we spent a rainy Saturday driving up to Index and Sultan to shop for garden art. We found a few fun items, so I will get some pictures and update this post soon!



Back to blogging; it's about time!

NG Gardener

No comments:

Post a Comment