Thursday, February 25, 2016

What I learned last year

As my 2016 gardening season fills me with excitement for spring, I reflect upon some of the things I learned last year.

  1. Don't save the seeds of any kind of squash plant. They hybridize easily, so I got all kinds of weird things last year. I bought all new squash seeds for 2016.
  2. Plant some of the colorful vegetables in the patio beds. Cabbage, chard, kale, and collard greens can be quite attractive among the flowers.
  3. Don't overcrowd raspberries. John dug them all out this winter and we have replaced them with new plants. We only have three rows of three plants each. They'll get much more sunlight to each plant, which means more berries, and it means I will be able to get between the rows to pick more easily.
  4. Don't forget to plant wheat, garlic, and some flowers in the fall. They need the winter to grow and/or to germinate (cold temps) and reach maturity in time.

I would love it if you'd comment and tell all about the things you have learned by trial and error. You might think everyone already knew that, but I bet it will be helpful to many.

NGG

No comments:

Post a Comment