Sunday, March 8, 2015

Planting journal

One of the things I really like about blogging about my garden is that it is a place for me to keep track of what I have planted when--and then I can refer to it next year. And hopefully, somebody out there on the world wide web benefits, too!

Many new seedlings came up in the last week:
  • Sunflowers (Monday)
  • Lettuce (Monday)
  • Leeks in full force (Tuesday)
  • Peas (Tuesday)
  • Cilantro (Wednesday)
  • Celery (Thursday)
  • Turnips (Thursday)
  • Beans (Saturday)
  • Basil (Sunday)
The cosmos were the first seeds to come up, and they are getting their true leaves. Behind them are the leeks. I read about planting them in the garden today. Dig a five-inch trench and place them in it. Keep them trimmed to three inches to increase girth, and gradually add dirt as they go to increase the blanched area.
All of the peas popped up this week. It is not recommended to transplant them. so I am going to see how this goes. If not well I will direct sow again this spring.
It took a few weeks, but my two varieties of Cilantro finally came up. 
Whichever kind of lettuce I planted in the front is slow to germinate. The rest is coming upwell.
I had a hanging basket that I planted purple bush beans in last year. I saved the pot in the greeenhouse over the winter, and I discovered that there were some dried bean pods. I shelled them and planted them and if you look very closely, you'll see two beans sprouting!
The nasturtium seeds I save from last year are finally coming up, too, in addition to the ones I bought from Territorial Seeds.
I took time to save specifically the red nasturtium seeds, since they seem to be a little more rare. They are coming up, too (left side). They were a bit moldy so I was worried they wouldn't come up.
I am still waiting on
  • Tomatoes
  • Peppers
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Spinach
  • Impatiens
  • Most of the basil
The Brussels sprouts have not shown their faces yet, but the sunflowers in the background sure have.
I call these the mystery seeds. I found them in my dad's shop garage. My mom had saved them several years before but she didn't label them. I can't tell what they are, so I planted them and then placed the container next to the planting. There are more seeds in the container, so once I know what they are, I'll label them.
Today I planted lots of flowers:
  • White cosmos (from seeds I saved)
  • Aster
  • Coleus (both from seeds I saved and purchased)
  • Balsam
  • Oxalis
  • Browillia
  • Petunia
  • Zinnia (from seeds I saved)
Many of these plants are shade flowers, which I will use in the baskets and patio area. I have a deep shade spot right next to the deck.

When I opened the door to the greenhouse, the humidity was 39%; with the door closed, it was 55%.
My tasks on Tuesday (I have the day off to go to my physical therapist) are to install the watering system, direct-sow some flowers in a new patio bed, and install my fan. I need to figure out what the ideal humidity is for a greenhouse.

Until Tuesday,

NG Gardener



No comments:

Post a Comment