Sunday, March 1, 2015

Beets, leeks, chard, cabbage, nasturtiums, and lettuce

Yesterday, two weeks after planting, the beets, leeks, chard, cabbage, lettuce and nasturtiums (one week for them) are up. Almost all the artichokes and cosmos are up. The seedlings are so tiny that I didn't bother to take photos. I will wait until things are a little bigger.

The weather continues to be sunny and mild during the day, though we've had frost most nights. Since the sunshine is to continue for the next two weeks, I decided to plant tomatoes, peppers, basil and impatiens yesterday. As planned, I mixed 10 percent worm castings in with my potting soil and sprinkled some lime over the top and worked it in. I planted more peppers today from seeds my mom and I had saved from eastern Washington (Lincoln). I also planted a bunch of flower seeds she had saved but didn't label. The seeds are probably pretty old, so I am not sure what to expect.

Meanwhile, I found a source for coleus, petunia, balsam, browallia and oxalis seeds: Rare Seeds/Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company: http://www.rareseeds.com/store/flowers/.



They have a great assortment of heirloom vegetable seeds, so I have signed up to get their catalogue next year.

I brought an old oscillating fan out to my greenhouse to help with the humidity, but it doesn't work. I have ordered a new one from Amazon along with a humidity sensor. Meanwhile, in an effort to encourage the tomatoes to sprout, I have the heater on to 50 degrees F at night. I also covered the seed flats with a thin white cloth that covered (for shipping) a leather bench I bought. I hope this will help keep the soil moist the seeds can sprout.

Hopefully, I'll have pictures to share next weekend and happy news of newly sprouted seeds.

NG Gardener

No comments:

Post a Comment